Horchata is a popular Mexican beverage that is served in many Mexican restaurants. It is made out of white rice, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. By reducing the sugar level and swapping white rice with Primera red rice, Horchata in Red is a healthier version.
- Primera red rice
- Cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon
- Organic sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk or almond milk
- Drinking water
Prepare Primera red rice and almond
- Wash 1 cup of Primera red rice and 1/4 cup of almonds
- Soak both Primera red rice and almonds overnight separately.
- Drain the water from the soaked Primera red rice and almonds completely.
- Place 1 cup of soaked Primera red rice, 1/2 cup of almonds, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick, 1/4 cup of organic sugar and 4 cups of drinking water (reduce water for thicker, creamier milk).
- Blend to obtain fine mixture.
- Filter the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 cups of milk or almond milk
- Mix well and serve with ice or keep refrigerated.