Antioxidant rich, low GI Primera Red Rice – 1 cup
Water – 4 to 7 cups
Oil – 6 tablespoons
Cinnamon – 1 stick
Cardamom – 3 pods
Star anise – 1, whole
Onion – 1, large, sliced
Garlic – 3 cloves, sliced or chopped finely
Ginger – 1 inch width, sliced or chopped finely
Spice powder – 1 tablespoon
Chicken – 1 cup, boneless, small pieces
Carrot – 1, large, diced
Kesum leaves (daun kesum) – leaves from 4 whole stalkes or 1 cup of leaves
Turmeric leave (daun kunyit) – 1, whole
Salt – to taste
Sugar (optional) – to taste
- Heat the oil. Stir fry cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- When they spice smell spreads, add in onion, garlic and ginger. Wait until the onion turns translucent.
- Then, add spice powder and stir. Next, add chicken and stir.
- Pour the rice and water to the stir frying mixture. Let the rice cook until soft.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, cook the carrot separately. Boil the carrot in a separate pot until it is soft. By cooking the carrot separately, the carrot will retain its presentable orange colour.
- Once the rice is soft and the porridge becomes thick, add in kesum leaves and turmeric leave. After that, add in cooked carrot. Add water if necessary.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Bubur lambuk, the traditional spiced porridge is ready!